With his signature brand of warm minimalism, Dutch designer Folkert Gorter seems intent on personally elevating the internet's collective sense of taste and wonder.
As a master craftsman of cultures, Folkert pushes his agenda of high art and science through his three major digital properties: Cargo, Space Collective and But Does it Float, which when taken together, inspire their visitors and members to demand a higher art from themselves and the world around them.
It's an honor to have Folkert as Varsity Bookmarking's first interview. His style and ambition have served as a constant inspiration for my own. Not to mention that VB is built on Cargo, his portfolio platform for artists.
How are you feeling today?
Where do you live?
Where are you from?
Where can you be found online?
- Folkert Gorter (folkertgorter) on Twitter
- Superfamous - Folkert Gorter
- but does it float
- Flickr: superfamous' Photostream
What have you been working on lately?
What books and movies would you say have been formative to your personality and career?
- Star Maker
- Diaspora (novel)
- The Glass Bead Game
- Permutation City
- Last and First Men
- A Thousand Years of Nonlinear History | The MIT Press
- Dune by Frank Herbert - All The Covers
- Food of the Gods: The Search for the Original Tree of Knowledge A Radical History of Plants, Drugs, and Human Evolution: Terence McKenna
- Erowid Psychoactive Vaults : "The Doors of Perception" by Aldous Huxley
- True Names: And the Opening of the Cyberspace Frontier: Vernor Vinge, James Frenkel
- Ballantine Books 2656 - Carlos Castaneda - The Teachings of Don Juan | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- Neal Stephenson )) Books
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (novel)
- Moebius 40 Days Dans Le Desert
- Delirious New York: A Retroactive Manifesto for Manhattan: Rem Koolhaas
- Andrei Rublev (1969) - The Criterion Collection
- Kanashimi no Belladonna
What are you listening to these days?
- Dunwich Radio
- Paradieswärts Düül
- Susumu Yokota – Image 1983 - 1998 – Rdio
- Nest / Retold | Serein
- Ivo Janssen – Simeon Ten Holt: Canto Ostinato – Rdio
- Popol Vuh – Tantric Songs / Hosianna Mantra – Rdio
- Harold Budd – The Pearl – Rdio
- Deaf Center – Owl Splinters – Rdio
- Anenon – Inner Hue – Rdio
What are you hoping to see more of in the future?
- Fluid simulation with Turing patterns | WebGL shader demo
- Gifford Myers Double Blue
- Particles morph
- “I’d just like to see thinking come back in... - Lapidarium
- Manteca, circa 1950
- Humans 04 Manifesto | Humans by Mike Mills
- WebGL Bookcase
- 1 | dpr-barcelona
- Google Street View Hyperlapse
- Erowid Peyote Vault : Mescal: A New Artificial Paradise
- Atemporality for the Creative Artist | Beyond The Beyond | Wired.com
Where do you go for inspiration?
- Flickr: superfamous' stuff tagged with bigsur
- DSC_5341 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- Operation chillout | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
What do you consider your best work?
Who are your favorite artists?
- max ernst
- kilian eng
- michael cina
- dan mcpharlin
- benbo george
- Arnaud Mercier — Retrospective 1999-2011
- erwin wurm
- all manner of distractions
- karel martens
- david lynch
- Al Que Quiere
- lebbeus woods
Do you have any favorite products or businesses?
- Notational Velocity
- Panic - Shockingly Good Software.
- REI – Top-Brand Outdoor Clothing, Footwear & Gear for Spring Adventures
- 3D printing
- Synthetic biology
What do you hope to accomplish?
What scares you?
Who are your heroes?
- Terence McKenna
- Jean Giraud
- Aldous Huxley
- Greg Egan
- M.C. Escher
- Dr. Seuss
What do you think of politics?
Do you have a spirit animal?